of Birth : 27.9.1963.
Place of Birth : Al - Karak
Nationality : Jordanian.
Marital Status : Married.
Address: Work address
Department of Biotechnology,
Faculty of Agricultural Technology,
Al-Blaqa Applied University,
Tel : 00962/5/3530469
Fax : 00962/5/3530469
Permanent post address
11141 Amman, P.O.Box410604, Jordan.
Tel : 00962/2/7095111 Ex. 23166.
Mob : 00962/79/5576112
Associted Prof. in Apiculture/Economic Entomology/Agric. technology.
High School, Tawjihi Scientific, Al - Taj Secondary
School, Amman. 1981.
• B.Sc., 1985, Faculty of Agriculture,
Department of plant Protection, University of Jordan.
• M.Sc., 1988, Faculty of Agriculture, Department of plant protection, University of Jordan. Thesis title: Cultural practices and their relationship with type and population trends of fungi in the soil of irrigated Uplands of Jordan.
• Ph.D., 1993, Department of Apiculture, University of Hohenheim, Germany. Dissertation title: Initial studies on the attractivity of honeybee brood for Varroa jacobsoni Oudemans.
1. Isolation and Identification of honeybee disease
from bee brood, adult bees, and bee products.
2. Modern-beehive management for mass honey, Royal jelly, Propolis, wax and other products production.
3. Queen rearing and artificial insemination.
4. Honey analysis and honey processing.
5. Handling and processing of bee wax, royal jelly and propolis.
6. Entomology and Insect Taxonomy.
7. Quality control of honeybee products (Honey).
8. Director of University Apiary.
9. Teaching the following courses with practical labs
• Silk worm rearing.
• New technologies in silk worm industry.
• Industrial Insects
• Honeybees (for non-Agriculture students)
• Honeybee keeping
• New Technologies in honeybee (including wild bees).
• Honeybee products.
• Field crop diseases
• General Entomology
• Food quality control
• Plant protection
Assistant in teaching the following labs.
2. Diagnosis of plant disease.
3. Weed Science lab.
4. Entomology labs.
5. Beekeeping labs.
6. Plant pathology lab.
7. Queen rearing and honeybee breeding labs.
Researcher in the following fields:
Field of honey analysis.
* Queen rearing.
* Development of new honeybee hybrids (to be reared under dry region areas).
* Honeybee diseases diagnosis and control.
* Insect pollinators.
* Mechanisms of honeybee resistance against insect pests & diseases.
* Honeybee flora.
Financed Research Projects
Honey bee pests and the general characteristics of Jordanian Honey. Financed
by the Higher Council for Science and
Project no. 2: Beekeeping in the arid land of Jordan, and the special role Of women. Financed by Badia Research and Development Program.
Project no.3: Honeybee flora in Jordan Badia. Financed by Badia Research and Development Program.
Project no.4: Biodiversity of honeybees in Jordan using DNA finger printing. Financed by Al-Balqa applied university.
Project no.5: Biodiversity of wild bees in Jordan. In cooperation with German Group.
Project no.6: Prevalence and diagnosis of foulbrood diseases in Jordanian honeybees, based on PCR technique
Sharing in many European Conferences on honeybee disease.
• Sharing in many workshops organized by the Ministry of Agriculture concerning honeybee and pollination.
• Sharing in the first International Arab Apicultural congress.1996 Beirut, Lebanon.
• Sharing in the organization of the second international Arab Apiculture Congress.
• Sharing in the second International Arab Apicultural congress. 1998. Amman. Jordan.
• Sharing in the organization of the first international biotechnology conference in Al-Balqa Applied University. September 2000. Al-Salt. Jordan.
• Sharing in the seventh conference of the International Bee Research Association. March 2000.
• Sharing in the fifth conference of the Asian Bee Research Association. March 2000.
• Sharing in the Seventh Arab Congress of Plant Protection. October 2000. Amman. Jordan.
• Sharing in the organization of the Fourth Agricultural conference. April 2001. Jarash. Jordan.
• Sharing in the organizing committee of the Fifth Agricultural conference.
Membership in the International bee Research Association.
• Membership in the Asian bee Research Association.
• Membership in the Arab beekeepers Association.
• Al-Ghzawi, S. (Zaitoun). 1992. Attractivity of A. mellifera to Varroa jacobsoni in small bee colonies. A booklet of the German-Pollen Meeting on Honeybee diseases.
• Al-Ghzawi, S. (Zaitoun). 1992. Preliminary studies on the attractivity of the honeybee brood to Varroa jacobsoni. Apidology 23(4) 367-368.
• Al-Ghzawi, A. and S. Zaitoun. 1996. Factors affecting Maturity of Varroa jacobsoni females. The first International Arab Apiculture congress. Beirut 17-20 August. 1: 57.
• Zaitoun, S. 1997. Documentary Video program about honey characters and its uses for human health. Ministry of Agriculture. Jordan. (In Arabic)
• Zaitoun S. 1998. Stimulation of the bee brood to the parasitic miteVarroa jacobsoni. The second International Arab Apiculture congress. Amman 3-6 August. 2: 41-43.
• Zaitoun, S. T.; A. Al-Ghzawi; B. Abu Jdayil and K. Mallah. 2001. Rheological properties of selected light colored honeys from Jordan. International Journal of Food Properties. 4 (1), 139-148.
• Zaitoun, S. T. 2000. Population dynamics of the Syrian Honeybee, Apis mellifera syriaca, under semi-arid Mediterranean conditions. The Seventh IBRA Conference on Tropical Bees: Management and Diversity. 19-26 March 2000. Chiang Mai, Thailand. 319-321.
• Zaitoun, S. T.; A. Al-Ghzawi and H. Shannag. 2001. Grooming behavior of Apis mellifera syriaca toward Varroa jacobsoni in Jordan. Journal of Applied Entomology 125, 85-87.
• Abu Jdayil B.; A. Al-Ghzawi; K. Mallah and S. T. Zaitoun. 2002. Heat effect on rheology of light-and dark-colored honey. Journal of Food Engineering. 51: 33-38.
• Al-Ghzawi, A.; S. T. Zaitoun and H. Shannag. 2001. Seasonal cycles of Apis mellifera syriaca under Jordanian desert conditions. Journal of Apicultural Research. 40(2): 45-51.
• Al-Ghzawi, A.; S. T. Zaitoun and H. K. Shannag. 2001. Ontogenesis of the parasitic mite Varroa jacobsoni on syrian honey bees, Apis mellifera syriaca. Zoology in the Middle East. 22: 101-106.
• Al-Ghzawi, A.; S. T. Zaitoun and H. Shannag. 2001. Damaged Varroa mites in the debris of different honeybee subspecies under semiarid mediterranean conditions. Bull. Soc. Ent. Fran. 106 (2) 193-198.
Mallah K. B. Abu Jdayil; S.T. Zaitoun and A. Al-Ghzawi. 2001. Application
of WLF and Arrhenius Kinetics to Rheology of Selected Dark-Colored Honey.
Journal of Food Process Engineering. 24 (5) 341-357.
• Nazer, I.; S.T. Zaitoun and I. Krnfleh. Development of honey production in the middleeast. International conference for agricultural economics. Egypt. (in arabic)
• Shannag, H.; A. Al-Ghzawi and S. Zaitoun. 2000. Removal behavior of A. m. syriaca towards V. jacobsoni in Jordan. Bull. Soc. Ent. Fran. 105(3) 273-278.
Computer courses (Word, Windows, Lotus, Harvard, Excel, Chart, Spss, Power
• Arabic and English typing skill.
Arabic : Mother Tongue.
2. English : very good.
3. German : very good.